Website The City of Great Bend
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Utilities Supervisor or his designee, performs a variety of duties related to the operation and maintenance of water wells, water distribution, wastewater treatment plant, and collection (sewer) system.
A. Maintains wells, water distribution, wastewater treatment plant and collection (sewer) system to ensure it is operating correctly.
1. Schedules and performs maintenance on generators, equipment, fire hydrants, water, and sewer lines.
2. Performs utility locates to mark water, sewer, and storm lines.
3. Operates water tank trucks, high velocity water jet cleaners, pumps, generators, and other equipment.
4. Completes daily work orders for customers.
5. Installs new water services, meters, repair of water services.
6. Performs follow-up on sewer stoppage and odor complaints.
7. Prepares reports reflecting work completed, work orders, area of completion, and sewer stoppage report.
8. Samples and photographs wastewater overflows and other accidents attributable to the operation and maintenance of the wastewater plant and collection system.
9. Promptly submits written reports detailing actions and procedures used to correct problems.
B. Performs grounds maintenance at water wells, wastewater plant and collection systems such as mowing, trimming, edging, and spraying.
C. Operation of the wastewater treatment plant, water wells, and pump stations.
1. Performs routine water well and pump station inspection.
2. Performs preventative maintenance and repair to pumps, motors, control valves, station monitors, electrical controls, chlorinators, and related pump station equipment.
3. Diagnoses problems and requests assistance to resolve them when necessary.
4. Responds to treatment plant failures, lift station failures when notified by alarms from the system’s automated dialer, and water services calls.
5. Reads meters when the regular meter reader is absent.
D. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
A. Ability to perform the maintenance and repair of pumps, motors, and related electrical and mechanical equipment.
B. Ability to diagnose and repair equipment malfunctions.
C. Ability to read and understand technical manuals, utility locates, and other records.
D. Demonstrate knowledge of the principles, objectives, practices, and procedures of the Public Works Department.
E. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
F. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with governing body, city administrators, department heads, employees and the public.
G. Ability to use sound judgment and common sense, think logically, and make appropriate decisions.
H. A valid Kansas Class B Commercial Driver’s License including Standard, Air Brakes and Tanker endorsements must be held, obtained, or have the ability to obtain within 180 days of employment by employees whose primary job function is wastewater collections or the treatment plant.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org