Website The City of Great Bend
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for the activities of the engineering department.
2. Conducts surveys and handles preliminary investigations.
3. Prepares construction design and supervises construction inspection for the full range of public works activities including water system, streets, storm and sanitary sewers, water and wastewater treatment, solid waste disposal, traffic engineering, and community relations.
4. Prepares and reviews long range plans associated with public works infrastructure.
5. Pursues federal and state funding for transportation projects.
6. Oversees the preparation of plans and contract specifications for Public Works projects and handles bidding and bid openings for these projects; oversees project progress and assists in directing of projects as required.
7. Oversees and reviews consultant’s work for accuracy and professionalism; negotiates contracts; sees to the completion of contracts.
8. Provides counsel to all departments on matters of engineering and surveying.
9. Answers technical questions and provides information to the public.
10. Develops budget for the Engineering Department and approves expenditures for engineering services.
11. Responsible for the official maps of the City of Great Bend.
12. Directly supervises the staff of the Engineering Department.
13. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
1. Requires an excellent working knowledge of the application of civil engineering techniques, procedures and criteria to the design and maintenance of roads, streets, drains, sewers, buildings, water facilities, and other public work structures.
2. Requires advanced knowledge of drafting and mapping principles and techniques.
3. Requires advanced knowledge of, and ability to perform, design and layout work.
4. Requires advanced knowledge of certain computer applications including experience with CAD systems, word processing, spreadsheets, GIS systems, databases, and other engineering software applications. An ability to adapt and implement new engineering software to department needs is also required.
5. Must be equipped with good organizational skills and the ability to manage projects from concept to construction completion.
6. Must be equipped with good problem solving skills and the ability to adapt and apply tools and techniques to solving various engineering and municipal problems.
7. Must have ability to coordinate and supervise the work of other personnel.
8. Must have excellent ability to maintain effective working relationships with officials, engineers, other employees, and the public.
9. Must be able to make oral and written presentations.
10. Must be able to follow written and oral instructions.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a related field, plus five years of experience in the field of Civil Engineering, with at least two years of practical and/or supervisory duties. Must possess a Kansas Professional Engineer License or be able to obtain within six months of hire date. Requires a valid Kansas driver’s license.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org