Do you like to take things apart and put them back together? Do you like puzzles? Are you intrigued by electricity? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, this job is for you.
Do you like to take things apart and put them back together? Do you like puzzles? Are you intrigued by electricity? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, this job is for you. As a Substation Technician Intern in Great Bend, KS you will be exposed to installing, inspecting, testing, and repairing substation equipment including power transformers, load tap changers, high voltage circuit breakers, switchgear, and various electronic systems with the majority of the duties involving working with alternating current (ac) and direct current (dc) circuits between 48 and 600 volts.
• Receive one-on-one training from a safety conscious team.
• Travel the countryside and work outside within our service territory.
• Gain experience in reading and understanding construction and manufacturers’ drawings and specifications and schematic diagrams and substation drawings.
• Provide support to achieve the lowest cost, most reliable, and environmentally sound transmission and substation infrastructure.
• Enjoy the friendly, hometown atmosphere.
• Gain hands-on experience in an electric utility to further your career.
• Must be currently enrolled in a post high school technical certification program in industrial electrical, instrument and control, or electronics.
• Successful completion of the Construction and Skilled Trades Selection System (CAST) Test.
Refer to the Responsibility Outline for a complete list of qualifications.
We administer selection tests for a variety of positions. The required tests have been developed by the Edison Electric Institute (EEI), a trade association of investor-owned electric utility companies. We strongly encourage candidates to review all the information, including the sample test brochures, and to use the available practice tests before taking the actual tests, available here: https://secure.eei.org/eeitests/onlineproducts/Login.aspx.
The username and password are both sunflower. Practice tests provide sample questions and detailed discussions of the correct answers. It’s important to take the practice test as you would the actual one, with similar intensity and concentration. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer.
Note: EEI does not allow access to the actual tests. Testing sessions are held at various locations.
Sunflower Electric Power Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/vets.
Labeled as: EIC, Electrical, Internship, Substation