Website Lincoln County
Under supervision of the Lincoln County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC), the Director of Highway Department supervises personnel and is responsible for: comprehensive planning, construction, maintenance and repair of county roads and bridges, identifying needs and priorities, preparing work orders, responding to complaints, and administering the department’s budget. This employee must be able to operate, as well as instruct the operation of, all machinery in the department. The position requires the ability to multi-task and remain focused in atmosphere of intense pressure and rapid change. This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
Essential Functions Include:
• Creates and updates comprehensive plan for maintenance and repair of county roads and
• Inspects personally, or manages data received on roads, bridges, culverts, signs and all
• Prepares annual budget request for the department;
• Responsible for oversight of all bridge projects done by Road Supervisor;
• Produce the State Bridge Project and Mining License;
• Schedules department projects and coordinates employees and logistics;
• Produce paperwork required for Federal and State and any other license or permits required;
• Responsible for approving personnel time cards within department;
• Assigns regular or special work orders and maintains active list of projects to be completed;
• Completes interviewing, hiring, orientation, training, supervising, and termination of
• Monitors work quality of department personnel and provides individual evaluations to BOCC;
• Prepares or approves accurate cost estimates for all projects, and keeps available for
• Secures gravel agreement contracts between county and landowners with BOCC approval;
• Secures materials & equipment needed for the department, providing bids and written cost
• Oversees billing on work performed by Highway Departments for other county departments;
• Oversees clerical duties within the record-keeping of the department;
• Consults engineer, KDOT personnel and FHWA personnel, assuring compliance with
• Assures all safety compliance within the department and trains with KWORCC/KCAMP
EXPERIENCE: More than five years in road and bridge construction and maintenance or related infrastructure experience is required. Engineering educational background is preferred. Prior supervisory experience is required. Employee is expected to have the ability to operate and instruct the operation of all equipment and acquire the necessary information and skills to perform the job proficiently within six months of employment.
EDUCATION: Post-secondary or vocational/technical degree is required. A valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is required. Equipment operation, maintenance and repair skills are required, applicable vocational technology degree is preferred. Supervisory education is required or must be obtained. Continuing education for the position is required and self-propelled.
For Complete Job Description, please visit our website
An application can be printed from our website www.lincolncoks.com or picked up at the Court House 216 E. Lincoln Ave 8:00 am – 4:30 pm M-Fri
Questions? Please call Lincoln Co. HR Officer 785-524-5232 or email@example.com
Resumes can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 785-524-5008
To apply for this job please visit www.lincolncoks.com.