Inspect, test, sort, sample, or weigh raw materials or processed, machined, fabricated, or assembled parts or products for defects, wear, and deviations from specifications. May use precision measuring instruments and complex test equipment.
- Inspect, test, or measure materials, products, installations, or work for conformance to specifications.
- Measure dimensions of products to verify conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as rulers, calipers, gauges, or micrometers.
- Read blueprints, data, manuals, or other materials to determine specifications, inspection and testing procedures, adjustment methods, certification processes, formulas, or measuring instruments required.
- Record inspection or test data, such as weights, temperatures, grades, or moisture content, and quantities inspected or graded.
- Mark items with details such as grade or acceptance-rejection status.
Detailed Work Activities:
- Advise others on ways to improve processes or products.
- Analyze test results.
- Clean production equipment.
- Collect samples of materials or products for testing.
- Compare physical characteristics of materials or products to specifications or standards.
- Disassemble equipment for maintenance or repair.
- Evaluate quality of materials or products.
- Mark products, workpieces, or equipment with identifying information.
- Measure dimensions of completed products or workpieces to verify conformance to specifications.
- Measure ingredients or substances to be used in production processes.
- Monitor equipment operation to ensure proper functioning.
- Monitor equipment operation to ensure that products are not flawed.
- Notify others of equipment repair or maintenance needs.
- Read work orders or other instructions to determine product specifications or materials requirements.
- Record operational or production data.
- Review blueprints or other instructions to determine operational methods or sequences.
- Test chemical or physical characteristics of materials or products.
- Weigh finished products.