Position Description: The Temporary Support Worker position is stationed at the Kansas Wetlands Education Center (KWEC), which is located at Cheyenne Bottoms near Great Bend, KS and reports to the Director of KWEC. This part-time position will assist with visitor services, interpretation, environmental education programming and preparation, and live animal handling and care. The position requires excellent customer service and interpersonal skills with coworkers and visitors/customers at KWEC, and highly detailed and very organized work habits. Up to 20 hours per week with some flexibility. Work schedule will include at least 2 weekends per month.
Minimum Qualifications: High School diploma or GED equivalency and one year of related job experience.
• Associates or Bachelor’s degree and two plus years of related job experience
• Experience with live animal care
• Proficiency with computers and Microsoft Office suite (especially Word, Excel)
• Experience with retail sales/management
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Serve as a receptionist for the KWEC office, greeting visitors, tracking daily attendance, answering visitor questions, answering and forwarding phone calls, etc.
• Assist with feeding and maintaining the cages of live animals in the classroom, including mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and insects.
• Become knowledgeable about Cheyenne Bottoms, wetlands, and the surrounding area
• Operate the cash register for the gift shop, including opening the cash drawer at the beginning of the day, running purchases during the day, and balancing the cash drawer at the end of the day
• Assist the Environmental Educators with educational programs
• Lead interpretive talks and/or tours of Cheyenne Bottoms, KWEC exhibits, and other special occasions for programs
• Other duties as assigned
This description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a resume, and names and contact information for three professional references.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Curtis Wolf, KWEC Director
Labeled as: Animal Care, customer service, Environmental Education, Retail Sales, Visitor Services