The Ellis County Sheriff’s Office is hiring a part-time Jailer. Under the general supervision of the Jail Lieutenant and/or Jail Sergeant, the part-time Jailer takes care of the needs of the inmates in the jail. The part-time Jailer records all activities of the inmates in the jail. The employee in this position is responsible for recording all requests of inmates, medical problems, medications, etc. It is the responsibility of this employee to ensure that inmates are maintained in a humane manner and ensure that the inmates are granted their constitutional rights.
Essential Job Functions:
- Books and processes inmates;
- Records all activities of inmates, including phone calls and medical needs;
- Checks prisoners on an hourly basis;
- Verifies warrants as requested;
- Dispenses commissary needs;
- Restrains inmates who do not follow instructions;
- Meets the public at the law enforcement center and supervises visiting hours;
- Assists with preparation and serving of meals to prisoners;
- Serves as transportation and escorts inmates to scheduled appointments;
- Monitors medical status of prisoners;
- Dispenses medication and notifies physician of medical needs;
- Maintains the jail in good clean order; and
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of cleaning and disinfecting solvents required for sanitation.
- Skilled in interpersonal communication.
- Ability to deal with inmate problems on a daily basis.
- Ability to operate an intoxilyzer, TV camera and video equipment, kitchen equipment, and other related equipment.
High School Diploma or GED required. Certification in first aid treatment and CPR required. Must possess a valid Kansas driver’s license.
Evening and night shift, with weekends included.
Ellis County works to foster diversity and looks forward to applications from all qualified applicants. Ellis County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information. This position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply: Submit your Ellis County application online. Ellis County paper applications may also be delivered or mailed to Ellis County, KS Administrative Center, C/O Human Resources, 718 Main Street, Hays, KS 67601.
Labeled as: jailer, law enforcement, sheriff