As a full-time Truck Driver you will assist the Public Works team in maintaining and improving the quality and safety of transportation on county roads and bridges.
Under the supervision of the Road Foreman, the Truck Driver hauls material to the job site for repair and construction of roads within Ellis County. In addition to safely and efficiently operating vehicles, the Truck Driver performs routine manual work in the operation of light and heavy equipment for loading and transporting materials.
Essential Job Functions:
- Operates equipment such as a tandem truck or loader in the transportation of materials;
- Performs routine vehicle maintenance;
- Operates tractors, mowers, and other related vehicles;
- Mows grass, hauls soil, sand, road, gravel, and asphalt;
- Loads materials and performs work-related manual tasks as required;
- Spreads granular surfacing on county roads and bridges; and
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of equipment maintenance.
- Knowledge of safety operations of equipment.
- Ability to operate a truck, tandem-axle truck, loader and other related equipment.
- Working for Ellis County provides an opportunity to do meaningful work in a stable environment.
- Employer sponsored health and dental insurance + vision plan offerings, employer sponsored life insurance, KPERS retirement-disability-survivor benefits, voluntary deferred compensation plan with employer contributions, 10 paid holidays, longevity bonus and service recognition, and other supplemental plan offerings.
- Flexible paid time off (starting at 168 hours accrued your first year) and employee assistance plan for work/life support. The schedule is Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm and during the summer months between Memorial Day and Labor day the schedule is Monday – Thursday 7:00 am – 5:30 pm.
- Supportive team environment, training and development offerings, and tuition assistance for approved courses/certifications to assist with career advancement goals.
Ellis County works to foster diversity and looks forward to applications from all qualified applicants. Ellis County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. This position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply: Submit your Ellis County application online. https://www.ellisco.net/Jobs Ellis County Paper applications may also be delivered or mailed to Ellis County KS Administrative Center, C/O Human Resources, 718 Main Street, Hays, KS 67601
High school diploma or GED and one year truck driving experience are required. A class B commercial drivers license with tanker endorsement is required.
The successful applicant will also be required to participate in the FHWA (CDL) drug-testing program.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work may require the ability to exert up to 75 pounds of force at times and/or negligible amount of force occasionally to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Also requires the ability to talk, see, walk and make rational decisions. WORKING CONDITIONS: Manual labor is required. Weather conditions are a factor in this position.
Labeled as: cdl, full time, government, hays, truck driver