As a full-time Environmental Services Technician, you’ll enjoy variety in your daily routine partnering with the Environmental team and the public to plan, coordinate, and complete environmental, planning, and zoning activities.
Under the administrative supervision of the Environmental Services Assistant Director, the Environmental Services Technician performs bookkeeping and clerical duties, as well as coordinating environmental/planning and zoning activities with the Environmental Services Operations Manager. The Environmental Services Technician routinely acts in implementing and monitoring Ellis County environmental/planning and zoning programs. The Environmental Services Technician will complete field testing and review and perform site inspections. This employee develops database programs in relation to environmental/planning and zoning activities and completes permitting and paperwork with citizens as required.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs site evaluations/inspections;
- Performs pre-site meetings/application processing;
- Receives incoming communication;
- Maintains program data systems, including activity reports and records, accounting, special information files, and correspondence;
- Tracks and reports grant funded activities and special programs and projects;
- Reconciles daily receipts and processes account billing;
- Updates information on website as needed;
- Assists with planning and zoning activities as needed;
- Assists with management of Household Hazardous Waste program;
- Maintains environmental supply inventory;
- Cross-training with Solid Waste, and
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
A High School Diploma or GED and a valid Kansas driver’s license is required. Two years of experience performing clerical and bookkeeping functions is required. The hired technician will be required to successfully complete a 24-hour Household Hazardous Waste Certification program within their first six months. Other knowledge, skills, and abilities: Knowledge of office polices and procedures, accounting, and electronic data management. Skills in interpersonal, oral, and written communication.
Physical Requirements: Work may require the ability to exert up to 50 pounds of force at times and/or negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Also requires the ability to talk, see, walk and make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive reasoning.
Hours: This position will regularly work Monday-Thursday 7:30 am to 5:30 pm and Friday from 7:30 am to 11:30 am. Work schedule may occasionally change due to holidays and department needs. Working Conditions: Routine working conditions of a standard office environment. Some exposure to hazards when performing site inspections, laboratory analysis, or special project assignments at the Household Hazardous Waste site.
- Working for Ellis County provides an opportunity to do meaningful work in a stable environment.
- Employer sponsored health and dental Insurance + vision plan offerings, employer sponsored life insurance, KPERS retirement-disability-survivor benefits, voluntary deferred compensation plan with employer contributions, 10 paid holidays, longevity bonus and service recognition, and other supplemental offerings.
- Flexible paid time off (starting at 168 hours accrued your first year) and employee assistance plan for work/life support.
- Supportive team environment, training and development offerings, and tuition assistance for approved courses/certifications to assist with career advancement goals.
Ellis County works to foster diversity and looks forward to applications from all qualified applicants. Ellis County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information. This position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply: Submit your Ellis County application online with attached resume at https://www.ellisco.net/jobs.aspx. Ellis County paper applications may also be delivered or mailed with your resume to Ellis County KS Administrative Center, C/O Human Resources, 718 Main Street, Hays, KS 67601.