Legal Assistant Job Summary: Under the administrative supervision of the County Attorney, the Legal Assistant provides support to the attorneys who prosecute criminal cases and file child in need of care (CINC) and care and treatment (CT) cases for Ellis County. The position is responsible for preparing the initial documents for the prosecutor’s review and subsequent filing. Duties may include but are not limited to typing documents, fielding phone calls, assisting victims and/or witnesses, scheduling and maintaining calendars, compiling discovery and entering cases in databases.
Essential Job Functions:
- Answers phones/directs phone calls/takes detailed messages for attorneys;
- Schedules hearings with the court;
- Assists the public/problem solving for phone and foot traffic in the office;
- Creates/files cases with the district court;
- Organizes attorney calendar/keeps him/her aware of changes;
- Prepares documents for hearings and diversions;
- Copies case files and redact for defense counsel;
- Creates and monitors diversion agreements;
- Meters mail for delivery;
- Emails/makes phone calls to officers regarding cases;
- Works with victims via phone, email, in person;
- Assists with reservations for attorneys for conferences and hotels;
- Issues subpoenas for hearings to law enforcement/victims/witnesses;
- Meets with assigned attorney to discuss cases; and
- Completes other relevant duties as necessary.
Minimum Requirements to Perform Work: High School Diploma or GED. Two years of related professional experience. Regular attendance is required. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Working for Ellis County provides an opportunity to do meaningful work in a stable environment. Careers in local government allow you to impact your community in a BIG way!
- Employer sponsored health and dental insurance + vision plan offerings, employer sponsored life insurance, KPERS retirement-disability-life insurance, voluntary deferred compensation plan with employer contributions, 10 paid holidays, longevity bonus and service recognition, and other supplemental plan offerings.
- Flexible paid time off (starting at 168 hours accrued your first year) and employee assistance plan for work/life support.
- Supportive team environment, training and development offerings, and tuition assistance for approved courses/certifications to assist with career advancement goals.
How to Apply: Ellis County is an EOE. View the expanded job description and submit your Ellis County application and resume online. Ellis County Paper applications with resume may also be delivered or mailed to Ellis County KS Administrative Center, C/O Human Resources, 718 Main Street, Hays, KS 67601. Candidates may also reach out to Robert A. Anderson, Jr., Ellis County Attorney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Labeled as: administrative, Legal Assistant