Provides total patient care to pre-op and post-anesthesia patients: addresses the psychosocial, physical, and general aspects of care related to the administration of sedation/analgesia or anesthetic agents and techniques while in the surgical environment. This includes preoperative preparation and post-anesthesia recovery: assists with the maintenance of PACU equipment and inventory; participates in performance improvement activities; responsible for monitoring the patient’s physiological status in the immediate postoperative environment Phase I and Phase II Recovery to discharge; communicates with surgeon and anesthesia provider, as needed, about patient conditions; receives direction for patient management, intercedes to maintain optimum homeostasis.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & ABILITIES:
1. Ability to adequately assess, formulate nursing diagnoses, plan and implement nursing interventions and evaluate patient responses in the perianesthesia environment.
2. Understands and is familiar with a postanesthesia scoring system.
3. Possess exceptional communication skills to communicate in a positive manner with all members of the healthcare team.
4. Ability to provide high-quality, individualized care and implement patient teaching for the perioperative patient.
5. Ability to form good working relationships with all members of the healthcare team as well as to be a positive team player.
6. Capable of making intelligent, independent decisions and initiating appropriate action as necessary.
7. Possess a solid background in physiology, pathophysiology in relation to surgical procedures as well as an understanding of medicine, pediatrics, geriatrics, and critical care as it relates to the perioperative patient.
8. Knowledge of the pharmacodynamics of anesthesia and analgesia.
9. Ability to coordinate care being rendered by a variety of health care team members.
10.Aility to respond quickly, physically and mentally when priorities and/or the patient’s condition changes.
KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE
Must be an RN with a current Kansas state license. Previous Medical-Surgical nursing experience and BLS/ACLS certification required. BSN, Previous Pre- Surgical/PACU nursing experience, PALS, ASPAN and/or CPAN preferred.
Apply in person or visit www.clarabarton hospital.com for application instructions and to see this and other great career opportunities to join the most progressive healthcare organization in the region.
Labeled as: PACU, Registered Nurse, RN