Full-Time Director of Athletics
General Description and Purpose
The Athletic Director is delegated the authority, duties, and responsibilities for directing the athletic program. He/she is directly responsible to the President, and is to administer the program within the guidelines established by the President and the Board of Trustees. The athletic director is the primary fundraiser, community liaison, and public relations official for the promotion and support of the athletic program.
• Serve as a member of the Selection Committees that review and screen coaching applications, and make recommendations to the President.
• Chair the monthly meeting of the athletic staff.
• Represent the college at Region VI, NJCAA meetings when applicable.
• Be responsible for maintaining the college’s membership in the National Junior College Athletic Association, the Kansas Jayhawk Junior College Conference, and Region VI of the NJCAA.
• Responsible for the Department of Education, Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Survey.
• Work in conjunction with and be responsible for the processing of athletic eligibility forms and reports for the NJCAA and the Kansas Jayhawk Junior College Conference (High School grade point averages, transcripts of other college work, affidavits of explanation of delayed enrollments, student signatures, etc.)
• Conduct periodic eligibility checks of athletes during competition (mid-term and at the end of each semester).
• Arrange for all post season athletic contests and inform all college coaches of the rules, regulations, eligibility, etc., related to such contests.
• Prohibit ineligible athletes from representing the college in athletic contests.
• Review and approve a schedule of all college athletic contests.
• Arrange for dressing quarters of all officials at home contests.
• Arrange for transportation for all teams for out-of-town athletic contests.
• Approve, or disapprove, all purchase order requests from coaches.
• Keep a record of the expenditures of the various athletic budgets, and keep the various coaches informed of their budget balances.
• Issue requisitions for athletic expenditures, when needed.
• Assure arrangement for meals for college teams when they are on the road.
• Assure arrangements for housing accommodations for teams when they are on the road, and when needed.
• Cooperate and assist with other Student Services activities.
• Notify the Business Office, in conjunction with coaches, when athletic equipment and/or supplies have been received, so that payment can be made to suppliers.
• Work with the Business Office in checking and authorizing payment of athletic charges not covered by insurance.
• Arrange with the Director of Buildings and Grounds to see that campus athletic courts and fields are ready before contests are held on them.
• For home athletic contests, be responsible for:
o Checks for officials
o Security, if needed
o Scorers for basketball, baseball, etc.
o Checking out supportive equipment and equipment including dressing rooms, press box, P.A. systems, rest rooms, and field conditions.
• Coordinate half-time activities.
• Deposit game receipts in accordance with Business Office regulations.
• Handle the sale of sport tickets (work with officers of the Beaver Backer Booster Club).
• Recommend process for sport tickets.
• Arrange for the printing of sport tickets.
• Submit to the Business Office a detailed report of income received from:
o Pre-season Sport and Season Ticket sales.
o General admissions ticket sales.
o Game guarantees
• To work directly with all Athletic Booster Clubs, including the Beaver Backer Booster Club, and see to it that all college coaches work through the Athletic Director’s office in regard to their contacts with such Booster Clubs.
• Develops, directs, conducts, and supervises activities, plans and programs for fundraising, community liaison, and public relations/sports information.
• Perform other duties as assigned by President.
Coordination and Accountability Tasks
• Assist the President in the operation of an overall recruiting and retention plan for the athletic department.
• Aid the President in the supervision of early enrollment of student athletes on campus and in area locations.
• Maintain a file of Letters of Intent issued by members of the coaching staff and signed by student athletes; coordinating letters of intent through the Director of Financial Aid, including approval or disapproval, before presenting them to the President, and determining the number of Letters of Intent allowed each coach, and sending copies of all Letter of Intent issued to the Conference Commissioner.
• Keep all records and make all reports for the Athletic Department.
• Consult with Jayhawk conference commissioner and NJCAA officials on all matters pertaining to their policies and procedures.
• Coordinate with the Title IX Officer in regards to the Equity in Athletics Survey.
Supervises the Following Staff
• Supervise and direct all college coaches.
• Athletic Trainers
• Administrative Assistant
• Evaluate all college athletic coaches annually, and submit these evaluations to the President; each evaluation is to include a recommendation regarding contract renewal or non-renewal for the coming year.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and other Characteristics
• Be well rounded and competitive.
• Attract athletic participants who are good citizens and who are desirous of a good education.
• Be accepted by the student body, the college staff, and the area citizens.
• Create a positive image for the college.
• Have strong fundraising and public relations skills.
• Prior experience in intercollegiate athletics (A.D., Asst. A.D., or head coach) preferred.
• Previous administrative and/or management experience – financial, human resources or program management – at the college level required.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Master’s Degree preferred.
Certifications and/or Licensure
• Office setting.
• Position requires evening and weekend work.
How to ApplyExcellent Benefit Package: Employer paid Health and Dental Insurance plus vacation, sick leave, personal days, tuition remission to include family, etc. For additional information regarding the scope of this position visit our web site www.prattcc.edu. Apply online or download application and send completed employment application, cover letter, resume and copies of transcripts to Personnel Director, Pratt Community College, 348 NE S.R. 61, Pratt, KS 67124. 620-450-2139. AA/EOE
689 total views, 1 today